The U.S. Student Visa Process
Don’t know where to start to get a U.S. student visa? Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Obtain passport from your government (your passport must be valid at least six months prior to your intended visa application).
- Complete the instructions in your letter of offer:
- Pay initial deposit
- Complete and sign your acceptance form
- Send in any outstanding documents as instructed in your letter
- After your offer acceptance has been processed, you will receive the SEVIS Form I-20. This is the form you take with you to the U.S. embassy for your interview. Carefully read all the information.
- Pay the one-time SEVIS fee. Visit www.fmjfee.com for guidance on this transaction.
- Make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country to apply for an F-1 visa and schedule an interview that will allow you enough time to comfortably arrive in the U.S for check-in.
- We have compiled 7 video tips that will help you prepare for your interview
Attend the Interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
You will need to remember to bring the following documents:
- A current passport (valid for at least six months)
- Your original letter of offer from UMass Boston
- A valid SEVIS I-20 form issued by UMass Boston
- Original copies of all financial documents (such as a bank statement, loan, scholarship, or affidavit of support) showing enough funding for one academic year
- Proof of ties to your home country (such as a job, ownership of a property, or family business)
- Copies of all academic transcripts and certificates
- Copies of TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson Versant English Placement Test or GMAT or GRE results (if any)
- A copy of the SEVIS fee payment receipt
- Photos as required (specifications will be explained on the relevant US Embassy or Consulate website)